User Manual - simpleRTK3B Micro
You can order this part with 2 different modules:
- Septentrio Mosaic-X5
- Septentrio Mosaic-H
You can also choose from 2 different flavors to try to meet all your needs:
- Through Hole with uFL connector
- Through Hole with extra long SMA for direct panel mount
- If you only need access to the main interfaces: 2x UARTs, USB and some I/Os
- Or if you also want to have a third UART and access to the Ethernet and SD card functionalities of the module
This product uses a very popular footprint: 2 rows of 10 pins each with a pitch of 2mm between pins. It has an optional extra 20pin connector for extended feature set. You can integrate this product into your PCB in 2 ways:
- Installing receptacles on your PCB so you can connect and disconnect the board at your wish. This option is more flexible but is not very rugged for vibrating environments. Another recommendation that we can give you is to not use cheap receptacles. Cheap receptacles (especially popular from unknown chinese suppliers) use very contaminated metals for the contacts, which leads to sporadic failures in the field and early death of the socket. We can recommend the top quality Samtec MMS-110-01-L-SV.
- Soldering directly to your PCB with through hole option. This is the easiest and also the most robust way to use this product to avoid reliability issues in the field. And because of the through hole footprint, if another component in your PCB design fails, with a bit of skills you can still recover this expensive component. Or if you decide to make a new PCB design you can always remove from old PCB this component and mount it in the new one.
Either way you will need the footprint dimensions. As there are tons of different softwares for PCB design, we decided to use a 3rd party service to generate a footprint compatible with all possible softwares. You will have to register but then you will have access to thousands of footprints.
The following diagram shows the different pins available including its functionality. You don’t need any external components, just connect the lines to where you need them to go.
If the need extra interfaces like Ethernet, SD card or an extra GP output, you can go for the version with an extra header and extended functionalities. You will find below the pinout. When developing a PCB footprint it is always easier to do it from TOP view, for this reason we also give you the pinout in this way.
The one peculiarity of a GPS system is that the RF signals it works with, are extremely weak (down to -170dBm!). For this reason, GPS systems are especially delicate and not immune against noise.
Between the GPS receiver and the GPS antenna, the GPS antenna is by far the one with the most critical installation. We want to give you some tips to make sure you integrated your ArduSimple receiver and it works at the first attempt:
- GPS receiver. This part of the system doesn’t like airflow, vibration and sudden temperature changes. Just try to avoid that: pick the location in your vehicle with the lowest vibration, try to use it inside a box and far away from any fan, and don’t place the board next to an electric engine that can go from cold to very warm in a matter of seconds.
- GPS antenna. For this item we have a separate guide we recommend you to follow and it’s our GPS/GNSS Antenna Installation Guide.
Configuration and Software Integration
With this product you have direct access to Septentrio Mosaic functionalities, it will help you to read the extensive Septentrio documentation. Nevertheless you can read our development boards hookup guides as starting point for your project. And if you need help at any point just contact us, we always answer.