The Septentrio PinPoint-GIS app for Android is a powerful geographical information system (GIS) that allows users to collect data, in a straightforward manner, of accurate and reliable GNSS positioning.
How to connect your simpleRTK3B board to Septentrio PinPoint GIS on your Android device via Bluetooth?
Firstly, pre-configure your receiver on PC.
- Connect your receiver to your PC via the USB port label as POWER+GPS.
- Open a browser and type 192.168.3.1 to access the Septentrio web interface.
- In the menu bar go to Communication–>Serial Port.
- Set the Baud rate of COM2 according to the baud rate of your Bluetooth module.
- If you have a SKU AS-XBEE-BT-2.4-INT-00, which is configured at 38’400bps, change COM2 baud rate to 38’400bps.
- If you have a SKU AS-XBEE-BT-2.4-INT-01, which is configured at 115’200bps, set COM2 baud rate at 115’200bps.
Press Ok and Save configuration.
- In the menu bar go to NMEA/SBF Out. Press +New NMEA stream.
- Choose Serial port and press Next.
- Choose COM2 and press Next.
- GGA, VTG and RMC are usually used by most of the applications. Select these messages and press Finish.
Optional: if you want to see satellite data you can also enable GSV.
But be careful, as Bluetooth bandwidth is limited. Enabling this message will result in a maximum transmission rate of 1Hz.
- Press Ok and Save the configuration. Therefore, the configuration will persist even after turning off the device.
Secondly, connect the receiver to PinPoint-GIS app on your Android device via Bluetooth.
- Connect your GNSS antenna to your receiver. Make sure your antenna is in a location with good view of the sky or near a window for testing the functionality.
- Plug the Bluetooth module into your receiver. Make sure to plug it in the right direction so that the LED on Bluetooth module will start blinking.
- Enable the Bluetooth of your smartphone or tablet , and pair it with your RTK receiver.
When pairing your device, notice that it will appear as RTK_GNSS_***. The password is always 1234.
The pairing only needs to be done once. Unlike other Bluetooth devices, it won´t show as “connected” until you click “connect” button in an app.
- Open PinPoint-GIS app. In the menu choose Connection Manager.
- In Type select Bluetooth. Press SCAN and choose the device you paired in step 12. Then press APPLY.
- Return to the main screen , where you will see that your RTK receiver is now connected and providing position information.